Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Look 'em in the eye

I remember being told growing up to look someone in the eye when you are talking with them. When you go on a job interview, what do your friends and family say? "Be sure to look 'em in the eye."

Well, it's a little more complicated. First of all, if you are more than five feet away, you are really just looking someone in the face. And that's where you'd be looking anyway if you are carrying on a conversation. Up close, however you can look someone in the eye. But then I think, which eye? The right or the left? Will I be darting back and forth? Maybe I should look in between the eyes.

Unless I'm thinking about it, I tend to look people in the mouth when I'm up close. Why? It's not because I'm hard of hearing, but it's just because that's what is talking back to me. Anyone else do the same?

No comments: