Sunday, September 06, 2009

On contemporary fundamentalism

I recently found this page, which had a few observations I had not thought about regarding Christian fundamentalism. Perhaps you will find it interesting too. Chris Armstrong writes about "Six Things I Learned While Writing about Contemporary Fundamentalism:"

A few months back I wrote the chapter-length essay “Fundamentalism: Contemporary” for the forthcoming Encyclopedia of American Religion, edited by Charles Lippy and Peter Williams (CQ Press). And six things about the American Protestant fundamentalism of the past few decades jumped out at me with new clarity. I wonder, as I note them in this blog entry, whether everyone else knew these things but me, or whether some of this will come as “new information” to the readers of Lippy and Williams’s encyclopedia.

Here they are:

1. In the 1970s, fundamentalism transformed itself from a theologically focused movement engaged in a heated church battle within several Protestant denominations, to a culturally focused movement engaged in a heated battle with the “forces of secularism” in America:

You can read the rest here.

No comments: